- Faculty of Health and Wellbeing, University of Central Lancashire
Dr Jo Gibson is a registered nurse and a Reader in Health Services Research. She studied biochemistry at bachelor’s level and nursing at master’s level at the University of Liverpool, and subsequently gained a PhD from the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan).
She qualified as a registered nurse in 1990 and worked in the NHS as a staff nurse, practice development nurse, nurse specialist and nurse consultant, undertaking research and staff development activities alongside her clinical roles in medical and surgical nursing, before taking up a full time academic post at UCLan in 2008.
The focus of Jo’s current research is largely on stroke prevention and clinical academic career development. She has undertaken programmatic applied health research utilising systematic review, mixed methods and qualitative approaches in primary and secondary stroke prevention, TIA and stroke services, prehospital and emergency stroke care, stroke rehabilitation, implementation, health inequalities, and pedagogical research. Jo also works with the NIHR Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care North-West Coast as a Senior Research Fellow, focusing on research to reduce health inequalities.
Brief outline of projects
- DECISIONS: Development and evaluation of a Comprehensive Intervention to Support clinicians and patients in improving the management of anticoagulation in Atrial Fibrillation to reduce risk of stroke (CIS-AF). NIHR RfPB. Applicants: Gibson J, Watkins C, Georgiou R, Chauhan U, Joshi M, Rutter P, Banerjee A, Lowe D, Lane D, Cheng Hock T. 2018. https://www.uclan.ac.uk/research/explore/projects/decisions.php
- NIHR Global Health Research Group on Improving Stroke Care at University of Central Lancashire. NIHR Global Health Research. Applicants: Watkins C, Georgiou R, Lightbody CE, Gibson J, Hackett M, Sutton C, Clegg A, Schroeder D, Sharma A, Forshaw D, Maulik P, Pandian J, Kalkonde Y, Gabbay M, Walker M, Radford K, Lindley R, Cadilhac D, Sanders C, Srivastava P, Middleton S, Sylaja PN. 2017. https://www.fundingawards.nihr.ac.uk/award/16/137/16
- Clinical Academic Careers Engagement Programme. NHS Health Education England. Applicants: Roddam H, Olive P, Downe S, Gibson J, Jones S. 2016.
- Strengthening Nursing Leadership in Stroke Research. Burdett Trust for Nursing. Applicants: Gibson J, Georgiou R, Jones S, Watkins C. 2016.
- Improving Cardiac Arrest Recognition and Effectiveness (ICARE). Department of Health. Applicants: Watkins C, Leathley M, Jones S, Gibson J, Sutton C, Price C, Siriwardena N, Roberts D, Quinn T, Dewitt D, Mackway-Jones K. 2015.